Excise commissioner Rishi Raj Singh was addressing a state-level empowerment programme for students at Kochi on Sunday when he told the participants that if a man annoyingly stares at a woman for 14 seconds a case can be registered against him. He also asked the girls and women to carry a knife or pepper spray in their handbags for self-defence.
As much as I see the point of pepper spray etc… Well, in addition to a knife and/or pepper spray; the girls will also need to carry a stop-watch to determine conclusively if they have been a victim of harassment or not.
I am hoping that with reference to context, this 14 second statement was just a figure of speech and not intended to be taken literally.
Rishi Raj says if a MAN annoyingly stares at a WOMAN for 14 seconds. Just a few queries:
- Does the same apply if a man is staring annoyingly at another man? Or a woman is staring annoyingly at a man or another woman??
- Is it ok to be leching after someone up to 13 seconds?
- Does staring for 18 seconds amount to assault? Does staring for 22 seconds amount to rape?
- Who gets to decide what is annoying?
- Would this be applicable to the judging panel of a beauty pageant or similar situations?
Faaltu ki draamebaazi. Faaltu ke issues. Faaltu ki statements.